The Toshiba Satellite Pro S300 is a desktop replacement size laptop. Toshiba loaned me one to take a look at for a review from a small business perspective.
Bottom line: I like it.
The first thing for me, is that it’s big. Normally, I’m a tiny laptop person. And this baby ain’t tiny. But it’s big in a way that makes sense. I can appreciate how this would be a great alternative to a desktop for a small business.
- The screen. Bright, lovely. Makes me want to show it off to other people. And it is big enough to share a slide show with another person.
- The lid latch. Does exactly what it should: keeps it shut until you open it.
- The keyboard. A pleasure to type on. With a little Caps Lock light right on the key. Easy to read key labels. The satin-y feel of the surfaces. (I really, really liked the keyboard.)
- The two-prong plug. Nice for travel or for home offices.
I don’t like a few things:
- The case flexes oddly when you pick it up wrong. I wonder if it will affect durability. Not a huge concern, but it feels a bit odd when you grab it from the wrist rest area.
- The warm breeze out of the left side. I’m warm enough, thanks.
- The USB ports are too far forward. If you plug in a USB mouse, the cord is now in the way of using the mouse near the laptop.
- Trial ware. Especially for small business. I’d rather get nothing, than to get a trial copy of Microsoft Office.
- Runs XP. I’m used to Vista now, so I found this… unusual. For small business, I don’t think Vista is the same kind of issue as it is for big businesses. I don’t see this as good or bad, just noted.
So, for a large laptop, I liked it, more than I thought I would. And I’m going to miss typing on that keyboard….
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021