Tourism Tuesday: our series recognizing the importance of travel and tourism to small town business. The discussion in the comments section is always the best part.
Whether you are local business owner, a chamber of commerce person, or a convention and visitors bureau rep, you aren’t alone in promoting tourism in your area. Look around. Your city is probably also doing promotion. Your regional tourism group is out there. How about your state tourism association? How about all the other businesses in your area who depend on tourism?
The reason I want you to look around is to see where you could mesh your efforts with someone else’s.
I do some website work for my regional tourism association, Red Carpet Country. They offer a cool program to share the cost of promoting your event or attraction, as long as you promote other events or attractions in the area at the same time.
Sponsorship may be the most familiar form of meshing efforts. I believe in the ability of your event to bring in customers, so I’ll pay to have my name associated with it.
Who can you cooperate with? Is there another tourism based business in the area that is a natural partner? Can you add a link to the local restaurants from your bed and breakfast website? Could you create a night-out package with the local theater, a restaurant, and a dance?
Picture all the players in local tourism as gears, meshing together. How could you draw in new players, or connect people and businesses in new ways?
In the comments, I’d love to hear about your own local efforts at meshing. What has worked, and what hasn’t?
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021