In small town tourism, play to your strength; use what you’ve got.
Avard, Oklahoma, is celebrating their centennial at their annual Folk Festival. They are a tiny town, practically a ghost town. They play up their cowboy heritage at this event with a dutch oven cook off, a quilt show, western musicians and much more. Did I mention they only have 12 people in the town of Avard? Twelve! And they do this every year. I’ve helped them a couple of times to apply for Oklahoma Arts Council Grants as they grew the event. This year, they’ve added that website.
How could we reach more potential visitors for Avard? How about:
- Use the Google AdWords grant program to place some pay-per-click ads at no cost.
- Spend some advertising funds on Facebook local ads. These can be amazingly affordable.
- Call a few people from previous years. See if you can find some photos to use on your own site or upload to Flickr, especially to the Oklahoma Travel groups.
- Send a personal invitation to the local Oklahoma bloggers, like Blog Oklahoma and Okie Legacy to attend this year.
- Take a ton of video and photos at this year’s event, and get it posted all over online.
(I love brainstorming this stuff.)
So here’s the discussion question:
What is your favorite home town event?
This can be your own, or the Eufaula Okra Fest, as long as it builds on a home town strength. Tell us what makes it great and how you’d bring in more people.
Special Note for Woods County Locals:
Don’t miss the archeology and western art event in Freedom this Sunday, Aug. 30, 2009, 2-4 pm.
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022