If one book could revolutionize your small business, it’s Work The System, by Sam Carpenter.
(Want a quick preview? Read the guest post Carpenter shared with us, Five Common Mistakes People Make When Starting Up a Small Business and How to Steer Clear of Them.)
In the book, Carpenter walks you through his method of turning your whole business into a system, and working that system. If you have employees, then it may be obvious to you that you need to systematize various processes to make them work without you there. If you are the only person in the business, you may not have realized that systematizing is the first step to breaking free of being “just you.”
It’s not exciting, and Carpenter takes his time, repeats himself, and generally tries to force his ideas into your head and into your gut. And, realistically, that’s a good plan. Because the natural pattern will be to read this book, nod a lot, and then continue to screw things up. It’s not that you can’t figure out on your own everything he tells you. It’s that you will never take time to figure it out and put it into a system without help.
So if you read the book, and actually work the system, you will change your business.
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021