Are you afraid of buzz? What does that cost you?
A local small business owner asked me to not share photos of her renovated historic building until after she has a grand opening. I was surprised. I mentioned that her renovation had been featured in a newspaper article, with photos! She said again, “don’t show them around,” so I decided to hold them.
[The photos were on Flickr. I’ve now marked all the interior shots as private, until I hear about her grand opening. I left the street view public, since anyone can drive by and see it. That’s the photo to the right.]
After she left, I kept thinking about how much you and I talk here about building buzz, sharing freely, and reaching out. I really thought my sharing was to her benefit.
So I asked you on Twitter, “How is my sharing going to hurt her? Or is buzz bad?”
That drew four immediate replies:
alizasherman: On flip side, I’ve got a biz owner who’ll share photos as they build a small kitty litter factory, step by step, to build buzz.
tawnypress: Why not build anticipation? All buzz is good buzz, just look at Hollywood, even bad news flips into good. :)
CoryOBrien: Maybe they have other plans? I can’t see why else they’d want you not to.
LisaVanAllen: Are they afraid of too much publicity? Not being able to handle the mob that shows up?? :0)
I don’t know how you overcome the basic reaction of hiding rather than sharing. CoryOBrien suggested showing the biz owner examples of other business that have shared pre-release building photos. That could work! Do you have ideas?
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022