Let me share some of the lead conclusions about social media in companies:
- Social media technologies have the potential to transform the way companies build and manage relationships with their customers.
- Apathy, fear and uncertainty – more than costs – are preventing companies from formally adopting social media technologies.
- Social media technologies are invading the workplace undetected. Companies know this, but most have no formal plan to manage them.
Companies that understand the impact of these trends can improve their competitive position in the market. Those that do not adapt to rapid changes or move fast enough to respond to those changes will lose customers and fall behind in the market.
While all of this is being written about and for large companies, I’m telling you that it is also true of small town small businesses.
“Apathy, fear and uncertainty – more than costs” are holding back small businesses from utilizing social media, too.
Zane Safrit laid out a good case for using social media in small business. We’re sitting on an advantage, folks. But what are we doing with it? By and large, nothing. Very few small biz folks have done anything with social media.
Are you holding an answer?
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019