Common mistakes can kill your small business, but most of them can be easily corrected or avoided. Here are two more Twitter friends with examples of mistakes:
phillymac Only one? How about 2. Bad customer service. Awful web presence.
zemote Get suckered by a SEO/SEM person.
We just talked about bad customer service, so let’s focus on web presence, including Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and Search Engine Marketing (SEM).
- Seek professional help with web presence. If you must do your site yourself, at minimum pay for some feedback from a professional.
- Include your contact info prominently on every single page. Include a phone number and an email address.
- Don’t get “suckered.” Ask for and check references. Don’t go overboard with Search Engine Optimization, fancy design, or flashy animation.
- Keep it simple! Use the same design elements and branding you use on your business cards, signs, brochures, etc.
- Don’t remain stuck with a permanently unchanging design. Customers would like to know that you are still in business and that you are not stuck in a time warp to a 1995 GeoCities design. (And I just found another small town small biz example of that this week, though I don’t want to embarrass anyone by name.)
Together, we are going to try to help each other out of these most common, deadly mistakes. You can use real world examples, real small businesses. Write it up, take a picture, or shoot a short video. Take care not to embarrass the offenders! Key point: include suggestions on how to do it right!
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022