You have many chances to quickly tell people what you do. Most of us just stammer or ramble our way through those opportunities because we don’t have a ready summary of our business.
An elevator pitch is the generic term for a short, potent marketing message. With a great pitch, you can present yourself professionally not only in elevators, but also in phone calls, in print, at meetings, and whatever situation life throws at you.
Our friend Laura Allen helped develop the 15 Second Pitch concept. The online 15 Second Pitch Wizard can walk you through a simple process to create a simple and compelling pitch. The site also includes community tools.
To test it out, I created this pitch for myself as publisher of Small Biz Survival:
My name is Becky McCray and I am an entrepreneur and publisher specializing in small town small business. I share my own insights, rural economic development stories, small business articles, and personal stories from rural entrepreneurs. Supporting and developing entrepreneurs is the most promising strategy to save rural communities. That’s why I am passionate about sharing the best resources, tools and technologies. Share your entrepreneurial successes in our weekly brag basket.
Laura wisely encourages you to focus each pitch like a laser on a single topic, saying “a pitch for every niche.”
Try your marketing hand at the 15 Second Pitch Wizard.
Update: watch the ABC News video of Laura explaining the 15 Second Pitch.
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020