You have many chances to quickly tell people what you do. Most of us just stammer or ramble our way through those opportunities because we don’t have a ready summary of our business.
An elevator pitch is the generic term for a short, potent marketing message. With a great pitch, you can present yourself professionally not only in elevators, but also in phone calls, in print, at meetings, and whatever situation life throws at you.
Our friend Laura Allen helped develop the 15 Second Pitch concept. The online 15 Second Pitch Wizard can walk you through a simple process to create a simple and compelling pitch. The site also includes community tools.
To test it out, I created this pitch for myself as publisher of Small Biz Survival:
My name is Becky McCray and I am an entrepreneur and publisher specializing in small town small business. I share my own insights, rural economic development stories, small business articles, and personal stories from rural entrepreneurs. Supporting and developing entrepreneurs is the most promising strategy to save rural communities. That’s why I am passionate about sharing the best resources, tools and technologies. Share your entrepreneurial successes in our weekly brag basket.
Laura wisely encourages you to focus each pitch like a laser on a single topic, saying “a pitch for every niche.”
Try your marketing hand at the 15 Second Pitch Wizard.
Update: watch the ABC News video of Laura explaining the 15 Second Pitch.
New to SmallBizSurvival.com? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates. Want more stories? Read our shared stories from all over.
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022