UPDATE: new tour sites now listed!
You can now attract savvy tourists to your area with audio tours and videos.
Record an MP3 audio file for visitors to listen to as they walk or drive through your area. Mention the sights, tell the old stories, direct them to businesses. Post it on your community or business website.
Upload it at AudioSnacks, and try to get it listed at Soundwalk, TourCaster, or Tourist Tracks. (I found those sites listed in an article from SpringWise, included in the E+Action newsletter.) Update: Ali Karbassi stopped by to mention city-surf.ca for Canada. Another reader mentioned the meta-directory of audio tours at Tourdio.
Visitors can download it to their audio player or burn it to a CD so they can listen while they walk or drive. Heck, many cell phones can now accept and play MP3 audio files, giving visitors another option for listening to your audio tour.
You could even post a regular series of podcasts on your website, describing the many wonders of your area.
Which brings us to the inevitable topic of video. Almost any digital camera will now take videos. Blip.tv makes it easy to post and share them. Why not post videos of those wonders? Why not present video on your small business website? Why not show off your products?
[Photo from my Flickr: Alva’s murals, a natural target for an audio tour.]
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021