In a small town, Human Resources Management takes on all new meaning, as you labor to find people to work with you, train them, keep them, and so on, while starting from a tiny talent pool. Making the most of each staff person is a constant issue. So here are two items to help you make more of your employees.
First, what is the best way to pay people? Is it more effective to give raises or give bonuses? Guy Kawasaki has dug up some research that addresses whether giving employees a pay-for-performance bonus or a merit raise fosters greater productivity. In fact, the difference is 10 to one in favor of bonuses. That’s a significant difference! So think of ways to invest in your people with bonuses.
Second, how can you find employees for small town small businesses? One tactic is to take advantage of partnerships with your local nonprofits. They can provide you with special training, testing, a steady supply of applicants for your staff, and more. The trick is to make these partnerships pay off for you, especially as a small business. Hitachi Foundation has produced a terrific pocket guide to alliances with nonprofits on HR. It really is written for small businesses. I’ve worked in workforce development, so I know that nonprofit organizations really do offer training, testing, etc. You may find it easier if you are located in the same town as a local workforce office, but anyone with enough persistence can access these alliances.
Share your secrets. How do you make the most of your human resources in a small town?
[Photo: Finding and keeping terrific employees is a special challenge for small town small businesses. from my Flickr.]
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020
- Video: How to fill empty car dealership buildings for the holidays - November 6, 2020
- How has 2020 changed the challenges rural small towns face? Tell us here - October 20, 2020
- The Idea Friendly Method to surviving a business crisis - October 6, 2020
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020