The book: Start and Run a Rural Computer Consulting Business by John D. Deans, on the Self-Counsel Press.
Short and Sweet Review: It’s a great book.
Who should read it: Anyone who wants to run a rural computer consulting business.
Aaron Morris with the Self-Counsel Press sent it to me back in November. (right before a really crazy period around here, so the review is a bit late!)
Deans explains how he personally left behind the big city for a small town and a successful business. His advice is sound.
In short, Deans’ advice is to
- get your finances cleaned up before you move,
- find a great small town location,
- make the move,
- fit in with your new community,
- offer general computer consulting instead of over-specializing,
- build your skills,
- and manage your business.
I agree with almost everything Deans says. Sometimes, though, he represents his way as the only way. Deans has a strong right-wing slant. He uses it to his advantage in his small town, so he gives the impression a more moderate or liberal person might need to hide their views. Trust me, though, small town people will respect you if you are authentic and not combative, even if you are more liberal than average in your town. He also chose a rural house, rather than in town, and he seems to presume you will, too. Don’t think that is your only choice.
In conclusion, don’t try to copy every single thing Deans said. But do consider his advice.
[Photo of the book cover from my Flickr. ]
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021