The book: Start and Run a Rural Computer Consulting Business by John D. Deans, on the Self-Counsel Press.
Short and Sweet Review: It’s a great book.
Who should read it: Anyone who wants to run a rural computer consulting business.
Aaron Morris with the Self-Counsel Press sent it to me back in November. (right before a really crazy period around here, so the review is a bit late!)
Deans explains how he personally left behind the big city for a small town and a successful business. His advice is sound.
In short, Deans’ advice is to
- get your finances cleaned up before you move,
- find a great small town location,
- make the move,
- fit in with your new community,
- offer general computer consulting instead of over-specializing,
- build your skills,
- and manage your business.
I agree with almost everything Deans says. Sometimes, though, he represents his way as the only way. Deans has a strong right-wing slant. He uses it to his advantage in his small town, so he gives the impression a more moderate or liberal person might need to hide their views. Trust me, though, small town people will respect you if you are authentic and not combative, even if you are more liberal than average in your town. He also chose a rural house, rather than in town, and he seems to presume you will, too. Don’t think that is your only choice.
In conclusion, don’t try to copy every single thing Deans said. But do consider his advice.
[Photo of the book cover from my Flickr. ]
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019