The book: Start and Run a Rural Computer Consulting Business by John D. Deans, on the Self-Counsel Press.
Short and Sweet Review: It’s a great book.
Who should read it: Anyone who wants to run a rural computer consulting business.
Aaron Morris with the Self-Counsel Press sent it to me back in November. (right before a really crazy period around here, so the review is a bit late!)
Deans explains how he personally left behind the big city for a small town and a successful business. His advice is sound.
In short, Deans’ advice is to
- get your finances cleaned up before you move,
- find a great small town location,
- make the move,
- fit in with your new community,
- offer general computer consulting instead of over-specializing,
- build your skills,
- and manage your business.
I agree with almost everything Deans says. Sometimes, though, he represents his way as the only way. Deans has a strong right-wing slant. He uses it to his advantage in his small town, so he gives the impression a more moderate or liberal person might need to hide their views. Trust me, though, small town people will respect you if you are authentic and not combative, even if you are more liberal than average in your town. He also chose a rural house, rather than in town, and he seems to presume you will, too. Don’t think that is your only choice.
In conclusion, don’t try to copy every single thing Deans said. But do consider his advice.
[Photo of the book cover from my Flickr. ]
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021