More rural entrepreneurship news to share.
One Stop Support for Small Businesses
Nebraska (USA) is using local colleges to bring together all the agencies that help small business. They are also creating a uniform entrepreneurship curriculum. They are calling it NET Force Nebraska.
Economic Impact of Festivals
Do festivals contribute to your local economy? Take the example of Parkes, Australia, and the Elvis Revival Festival, profiled as part of a larger study.
Dr. Gibson said, “Rural festivals can make an important contribution to the struggling economies of inland towns, and are increasingly part of their shift from traditional agricultural bases towards tourism, lifestyle and service industries.”
Rural Business Loan Funds
Tanzania is encouraging rural entrepreneurship through loan funds, Savings and Credit Cooperative Societies (SACCOS).
“For many young people, livelihood means starting a small business. Any entrepreneur realizes that capital is one of the main ingredients for any business, big or small; without it, the business is bound to fail, Savings and credit associations are one way to grow capital together faster,” said Phillips.
[Photo of a Tanzanian business by Brother Rewd on Flickr.]
Zoning Affects Rural Businesses
Changes to zoning rules always bring controversy. For the story of a proposed zoning plan in Virginia (USA) and how it will affect rural business and economic development, read Big month for draft zoning plan.
Rural Workforce Shortage on Dairy Farms
Vermont (USA) dairy farmers can’t find enough local workers, so they are turning to immigrants. Now the state is offering Spanish lessons to the farmers so they can communicate with the new workers.
Social Entrepreneur Supporting More Entrepreneurship
Inspired by Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus’ micro-credit work, Greg Van Kirk “started his own development organization providing loans to rural constituents, as well as services that integrate business creation, training and consulting for budding rural entrepreneurs. “
Building a Rural Economy, 6 Jobs At A Time
How great is your local economic development pro? Read the story of one who bought a business to relocate 6 six jobs. He’s also involved in bringing internet access and administering the loan fund.
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021
- Are marijuana shops good or bad for small towns? - April 22, 2021
- Downtown is your town’s core: How to make your case - February 22, 2021
- Zoom Towns: attracting and supporting remote workers in rural small towns - December 10, 2020
- In an economic crisis, spend your brainpower before your dollars - November 25, 2020