More rural entrepreneurship news to report.
Cell phones essential to rural businesses globally
I will vouch for this story. In my trips to Africa, I’ve seen how cell phones are vital to rural business people. Broaden your world perspective with this story at MyFox.
[Rural cell phone user conducting business in Namibia, Africa, by Francois Haasbrock.]
How is the rural economy?
I loved this quote from Stephen Ward, in the New Zealand Herald:
Getting an accurate reading of the health of the rural economy can be tricky. Just like when you visit a doctor to discuss an ailment, the diagnosis that emerges can depend a bit on who you talk to and when, and what sort of questions you ask.
Ain’t that the truth!
Two views of the same economic development event.
Two local newspapers from Mississippi (USA) covered the same conference. The story from Laurel talks about entrepreneurship, regionalism and innovation in economic development.
“Investors don’t invest in technology. They invest in innovation,” Goldsmith said. “But technology drives innovation.”
Coverage from Hattiesburg is focused mostly on the regional partnerships.
“Laurel is not the competition – China is the competition,” Mark Drabenstatt, Center for Regional Competitiveness Director at the Columbia, Mo.-based Rural Policy Research Institute, told an audience of hundreds of business, education and civic leaders at the Jones County Junior College Economic and Technology Symposium.
Facts show that entrepreneurial business adds the most high-paying jobs – and rural areas have a lot of catching up to do, Drabenstatt said.
But here is the prize winning quote of the day, in the Hattiesburg story:
“Educate locally and partner regionally so we can compete globally.” —JCJC President Jesse Smith
- Join me for the Rural Renewal Symposium online Oct 13 - September 26, 2020
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019