More rural entrepreneurship news to report.
Cell phones essential to rural businesses globally
I will vouch for this story. In my trips to Africa, I’ve seen how cell phones are vital to rural business people. Broaden your world perspective with this story at MyFox.
[Rural cell phone user conducting business in Namibia, Africa, by Francois Haasbrock.]
How is the rural economy?
I loved this quote from Stephen Ward, in the New Zealand Herald:
Getting an accurate reading of the health of the rural economy can be tricky. Just like when you visit a doctor to discuss an ailment, the diagnosis that emerges can depend a bit on who you talk to and when, and what sort of questions you ask.
Ain’t that the truth!
Two views of the same economic development event.
Two local newspapers from Mississippi (USA) covered the same conference. The story from Laurel talks about entrepreneurship, regionalism and innovation in economic development.
“Investors don’t invest in technology. They invest in innovation,” Goldsmith said. “But technology drives innovation.”
Coverage from Hattiesburg is focused mostly on the regional partnerships.
“Laurel is not the competition – China is the competition,” Mark Drabenstatt, Center for Regional Competitiveness Director at the Columbia, Mo.-based Rural Policy Research Institute, told an audience of hundreds of business, education and civic leaders at the Jones County Junior College Economic and Technology Symposium.
Facts show that entrepreneurial business adds the most high-paying jobs – and rural areas have a lot of catching up to do, Drabenstatt said.
But here is the prize winning quote of the day, in the Hattiesburg story:
“Educate locally and partner regionally so we can compete globally.” —JCJC President Jesse Smith
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021