Kansas has been making a huge deal of supporting entrepreneuriship as a major part of economic development. If you are looking for rural economic development ideas, look into Kansas’ new projects.
StartUp Kansas, the financial arm of Network Kansas, has made its first financial award.
Dan Thalmann, who has been at the Washington County News for the last six years and managing editor for the last four, was awarded a loan of $37,500 to help him buy the 137-year-old newspaper.
Four Rivers Development Inc. of Beloit is the NetWork Kansas resource partner administering the loan, along with the matching loan that will help support the ongoing operations and growth of the newspaper.
NetWork Kansas was created as a component of the Kansas Economic Growth Act of 2004 to encourage entrepreneurship and small business development in Kansas, especially in rural Kansas.
Washington County News serves a county audience and has a weekly circulation of about 2,850. Thalmann hopes to be instrumental in seeing that grow.
Wichita (Kansas) Eagle
Posted on Tue, Nov. 14, 2006
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022
- Way more people prefer rural than urban, new Pew Research study finds - February 1, 2022
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021