Michael Gurau is president of CEI Community Ventures Fund , an early-stage venture capital fund that finances growth-oriented businesses in targeted communities in New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont. He writes in the New Hampshire Business Review, and his column on Friday was about building your business in a rural community. Here are some excerpts:
Let’s assume you’ve made a lifestyle choice to build a business and create your living in a rural market, such as northern New England. Doubtless, you’ve done so for the high quality of life, lower cost of living and positive environment for building a company and raising a family. As these elements were catalysts for you, so too may they be for those you may wish to attract to your business.
You may, however, find that living in a rural environment presents as many challenges as opportunities. For starters, you may find it difficult to find employees in your local markets that have requisite experience and skills to add value to your business.
Next, you need to consider availability of external capital to support you in your growth plans.
Finally, you might face fewer service resources in rural markets than your competitors might find in urban markets.
Gurau explains much more in the original article. He’s definitely a name we will watch for more often in rural small business discussions.
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022
- Picking your Holiday 2022 marketing theme - November 8, 2022
- Shared retail spaces and sheds: smart business ideas in small towns - October 17, 2022