Rural entrepreneurs face a lack of good, unbiased, reliable advice. A new online resource, called Will It Fly?, is designed to give that kind of advice.
Think of it as an online mentor, a trusted business advisor who asks all those tough questions that make you really think. But this is also an advisor who will help you with the answers you don’t know!
I went through the module on a press release, something I know quite a bit about and felt I could evaluate. I clicked on Marketing, then Press Release was listed under Public Relations. Great! Then it starts asking questions. For example,
- Have you provided pertinent information to craft an interesting story rather than focusing on your “commitment to quality”?
- Have you tailored your press release such that it fits in with that media outlet’s specific style and outlook?
- Are you sure your subject header will get noticed within a crowded inbox?
- Are you prepared to field reporter questions?
Those are excellent questions for evaluating a press release! Then, rather than overwhelm you with everything about press releases, the system returns only the modules or articles you need and no more. It customizes each lesson based on what you need to know now, not everything under the sun.
Plus, they get bonus points for a “bland” design. No flashing logos, no pretty high tech graphics. The whole site is focused on helping you get and understand the information you need.
I strongly recommend this system!
I read about Will It Fly? in the Rural Entrepreneurship News – the electronic newsletter of the RUPRI Center for Rural Entrepreneurship.
- Top 5 Rural and small town trends 2022 - January 3, 2022
- How to start a real small small business - December 17, 2021
- Tip for better pop-ups and shed businesses - December 5, 2021
- Small town business idea: cat grooming - November 15, 2021
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021