First is AjaxWrite which provides “the look, feel, and functionality of Microsoft Word, in a completely web-based AJAX platform”. This is MS Word gone Web2.0! The same folks also have AjaxSketch which is a pared down version of Illustrator or Powerpoint.
The next product is an online MS Visio style application called Gliffy. This application lets you draw items such as:
* Workflow documents
* Class Diagrams
* Network Diagrams
* Database schemas
* Website layouts/wireframes
* Floor plans
* Seating charts
So what if you want a fully loaded, MS Office-compatible online application suite?
Check out ThinkFree.
ThinkFree creates MS Word, Excel, (.doc and .xls) compatible files. The files are online, so you can just share them instead of emailing them all around. You can also collaborate and let others make edits to the document, by assigning co-authors (versus readers). ThinkFree also does document versioning with rollback — just in case! It also makes it easy to post these documents to many different blogging engines. And last but not least- you also get 1GB of storage for free! (It’s worth signing up just for that!)
For Office type software not on the web, check into Open Office. I’m using it at the store, and I am reasonably impressed.
- Cheap placemaking idea: instant murals - September 11, 2020
- Refilling the rural business pipeline - July 7, 2020
- Huge vacant buildings: grants to renovate? - June 9, 2020
- Economic self defense for small towns - June 7, 2020
- The best things you can do for local businesses in light of coronavirus - March 27, 2020
- How to get more parking downtown without adding any spaces - March 7, 2020
- Exact Yeti Blue mic volume and Windows settings to reduce background noise - February 17, 2020
- Getting local businesses to cooperate with you: Shop Hopping Around Brownsville - December 16, 2019
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2019 results - December 5, 2019
- Shop Indie Local adds a new twist to tired Buy Local campaigns - November 11, 2019