Here’s another new business idea that could be adapted to any small town, or to any industry, from Steve Rucinski at Small Biz CEO:
I recently went through my shelves of books and pulled out about 100 business books that I no longer need to own but am having a hard time finding a home for them. I called my library about donating them, they weren’t accepting donations. I tried to sell some on Half.com (an Ebay business) but it was more work than it was worth, so I was wondering, are there other people with the same dilema? I am sure there are millions of books, long since read or at least being ignored on shelves around the world. How could they be recirculated and benefit the seller and the buyer?
Would a Netflix model work for business books? You subscribe, choose from a selction as many as you want, return them when you want? Would that work for used business books? They are like DVD’s in that they are usually used once, read in a few weeks and almost never looked at again. What do you think, is that model workable? Is there such a service already available that would give me a greater selection than my local small town library and be a home for used books.
I immediately thought of US libraries in the hurricane damaged-areas, so I did a quick search. The American Library Association is not collecting books, but has a fact sheet on book donation.
Local libraries in my small town accept donated books to resell at book fairs. I love these! You can’t beat a wonderful book for 50 cents!
small biz rural entrepreneurship startup ideas
- Rural tourism trends say small towns are still cool - March 27, 2023
- Move Your Money and Bank Local - March 22, 2023
- Using a building as a warehouse or storage in a small town? Put up a sign - March 13, 2023
- How to get customers in the door of small town and rural retail stores - February 19, 2023
- Check your small business website for outdated pandemic changes, missing info - January 31, 2023
- Rural Tourism Trend: electric vehicle chargers can drive visitors - January 15, 2023
- 2023 trends for rural and small town businesses - December 26, 2022
- Local reviews on Google Maps drive enduring value - December 17, 2022
- Extra agritourism revenue from camping, cabins and RVs with HipCamp - December 12, 2022
- Harvest Hosts attract vanlifers and RV tourists, Boondockers Welcome - December 2, 2022