How do you decide to expand your business? How can you tell if the fit is right, and if this expansion really makes sense?
I talked with a potential entrepreneur yesterday. He is having trouble settling his business idea down to just one thing. With so many market opportunities available, he found his new business was swelling out of his reach. Deciding what to include and what to leave out can be tough!
At Decisive Flow (a New Zealand web design firm), they have just expanded, adding Small Business Marketing Tailored to Your Needs.
A lot of our customers don’t have marketing strategies. This has caused a few issues with web design as we struggle to see how we can deliver sites that generate new business when the base we are working on is non existant. So Decisive Flow have expanded our services.
Adding marketing services made sense in their case, because their current customers, small businesses, had a need for it, and no source. They also had the expertise already; no need to bring in additional experts or retrain themselves.
I think these are the best business expansions to consider:
- Customer driven
- Market niche tailored
- Take advantage of your existing skills in a new way
Rather than let yourself be pulled in a thousand different directions, make sure you pick products and services that group together naturally. Marketing and web design are closely related, a good match. The potential business owner I talked to yesterday was thinking about a whole raft of possible services. They were all related in one sense, but with radically different targets, and many different providers. The longer we talked, the more he talked himself into a narrower field, one of closely related targets.
Weigh each expansion carefully. It’s like a whole new business to launch. Be sure you give it the care it deserves.
- Community engagement planning: old way vs. Idea Friendly way - October 3, 2021
- Boost your maker economy with a “Made in” day - September 17, 2021
- How a ghost town made something from nothing with a folk festival - September 3, 2021
- Rural business idea: sell foraged fruits and more - August 3, 2021
- Best practices for rural housing - July 19, 2021
- How to be more open to new ideas #IdeaFriendly - July 3, 2021
- Market your small town as a movie filming location, attract movie and game fan tourists - June 28, 2021
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2021 results, analysis of themes from 2015 through today - June 7, 2021
- What makes a small town a micropolitan or nanopolitan? - May 22, 2021
- Improving Rural Housing: turning blighted dilapidated houses into new homes - May 7, 2021