No. They don’t. Not in the US.
Wayne Hogue writing in the The Shreveport Times takes on this myth:
Attention! There is no such thing as a grant to start a for-profit business. Business startup grants are an urban legend; a myth that just will not die.
I’m talking about grants (i.e. free money, not loans, matching funds, or assistance programs) that will pay start-up costs for a for-profit (i.e. day care, restaurant, etc.), privately owned business.
There are grants for civic projects, research and development, education, and nonprofit organizations, but not start-up businesses.
I posted this on Jeanne’s behalf. She counsels prospective small business owners. They all want to know where to get those grants. They just don’t exist here.
What assistance is available to small business start ups? A huge variety of agencies and organizations provide help. Jeanne could tell you better than I can, but here’s a short list:
- Business plan assistance
- Guidance in seeking loans
- Low interest loans
And the US Small Business Development Centers are a great source of help. Check in with them.
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Tell your founding story - December 1, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Tell your customers’ stories - November 30, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022