Get a photo a day (almost) from small town America, from Kay Westhues
About this site
In 2001, I moved back to the small town where I was raised – Walkerton, Indiana. Family brought me back, but it was the last place I ever thought I would actually live. …
It seems I’ve always carried with me this duality of feeling about rural life. It holds a fascination tinged with nostalgia, love and discontent. In my work I’m attempting to celebrate rural life without idealizing it, to show what I connect with and what disturbs me.
Small town Indiana is a microcosm of a much larger world. Contemporary rural life is a place of constant change. …
Why fourteen places to eat?
One of my biggest complaints after moving here was – there are not enough places to eat out. Or rather, practically no places to eat out. So, I was happy when news arrived that a new restaurant was opening in Walkerton. Imagine my surprise when I saw the local paper had a letter to the editor against the new restaurant. The letter stated we already had enough places to eat in this town. The writer counted a total of 14 places to eat.
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Introduce your people - November 29, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Share your holiday traditions - November 28, 2022
- Holiday Marketing 2022: Support your service businesses - November 22, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Giving Tuesday is November 29 - November 21, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Cider Monday November 28 - November 17, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Artists Sunday is November 27 - November 16, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Small Business Saturday November 26 - November 15, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Plaid Friday is November 25 - November 14, 2022
- Holiday 2022 Marketing: Spotlight on Community - November 10, 2022
- Holiday 2022 marketing: Spotlight a local business - November 9, 2022