This is great! It’s exciting to see the conversation carry on. I’m interested in the number six part of the discussion. I can’t disagree, but am wondering why that number works.
I happened to read Chris’ original post and one over on BlogHer on the same day. They seemed to fit together to me. Nancy White quotes Marnie Webb in a post called “Size DOES Matter: The Magic Number is Six“:
We don’t make communities for 1M, 100K, 10K or even 1K. The communities we make are for 6 people. Make that—share it, write it, meet with it—and let each of those spawn more communities of 6. Keep it small enough to really care about and relate to.
That’s one of the things that Mena Trott said the acquisition of LiveJournal taught her. The average number of people in a community is six. And that is a comfortable number. And one we can imagine.
As humans, we can relate to smaller groups of people, stories of a size that we can internalize. As we seek to create change in our families, towns, non profits, states, countries, the world, think about who the first six you want to reach.
Rural and Small Town folks often lament that we have STP, the Same Ten People or even Same Two or Three, doing everything. That is not necessarily a disadvantage. Another thought drummed into us is, if you can’t do something big, it doesn’t count. That’s wrong, too.
The secret is that there is more magic in the smaller group. Six is a magic number; you plus five makes a very effective group. So be proud of your Small Town’s small activist group. Gather up no more than five friends and change the world! That’s what we are doing here.
- Seasonal business: How to beat the annual “no bookings!” panic - August 8, 2022
- Recession? Practical steps from 3 international peers - August 3, 2022
- Reaching “at risk” kids for local jobs - July 15, 2022
- 3 Major factors in rural remote work: incentives, flexible workspaces, and a sense of community - June 6, 2022
- How to recruit new residents, remote workers, or remote entrepreneurs - June 2, 2022
- How cooperatives improve small town economies - May 8, 2022
- Metaverse business idea: virtual world tour guide - April 15, 2022
- Make extra money from extra workspace: co-working and 3rd workplaces in small towns - March 28, 2022
- Trade show booth design trend: hand drawn visuals - March 21, 2022
- New business sign design? Don’t use cursive script - February 14, 2022