“We just don’t have as many businesses as we used to.” It’s one of those rural myths that I hear variations of all the time.
- “Our downtown is all boarded up. All the businesses are gone.”
- “Census numbers show fewer employers.”
- “We did a business count, and the number of businesses is way down.”
But it’s a myth. See, we have new kinds of businesses, ones that don’t get counted at all. They’re not in downtown storefronts or listed in business counts.
What are these mysterious new businesses?
- They include kinds of business we’ve always had but not counted, like people running a side business.
- They also include businesses that haven’t really been much of a factor, like independent professionals.
- They include new styles of doing business like the Innovative Rural Business Models.
If you’re still looking for businesses in traditional ways, you’re going to find the remaining traditional businesses. You’ll have to look in new ways if you want to new businesses.
- You’ll have to look for multiple businesses operating Together in a shared space, and other Business Inside a Business examples.
- You’ll have to look for Tiny businesses, frequently squeezed into a small nontraditional space.
- You’ll have to look for Temporary businesses operating in booths at events, popping up in empty store fronts or only existing seasonally.
- You’ll have to look for people doing business outside our traditional obvious frames.
The nature of business is changing. We won’t keep up with it by thinking in the same old patterns.
- How to convince a building owner to host a pop-up - November 20, 2017
- Downtown After 5 idea: Dinner and a Movie - November 13, 2017
- Like a home office, but with wheels - November 6, 2017
- Want more local retail businesses? Here’s what Elk City does - October 30, 2017
- Free concerts draw big crowds, but no one shops local stores - October 23, 2017
- What small businesses can do with Facebook Live and other streaming video - October 16, 2017
- Build your business with mini-events - October 9, 2017
- Don’t call it a failure just because it stopped - October 3, 2017
- Is this my business, or just a distraction? - September 25, 2017
- What to do after entrepreneurship class - September 18, 2017