It’s a fad you’ll be hearing about everywhere. It’s all about comfort, coziness and connectedness. It’s the subject of a rush of new books. It’s a fad, and it won’t last forever. But it’s also connected to larger trends in society that are good for rural. If we can just figure out how to say it.
First, what is hygge? It’s a Danish word, roughly rhyming with “cougar.” There isn’t a simple, one-word English equivalent, but people are using “coziness” as a starting point.
It’s about enjoying simple pleasures with friends. The perfect hygge might be the warm togetherness of friends coming in out of a snowstorm to enjoy a simple hot cocoa in front of the fire.
Sounds like a rural thing to me. I mean, I can’t really picture that kind of relaxed conviviality in a busy urban setting. Which leads me to write to you about it.
Rural places excel at hygge. That’s marketable to potential visitors.
Will hygge be a quick fad or a longer-lived trend? I can’t say, but it fits into a larger societal trend that isn’t going to go away anytime soon.
“Hygge is part of a broader set of trends around the complexities of modern times leading people to seek or at least yearn for a simpler, gentler life,” Steve King said.
See what I mean? A simpler, gentler life. We’re all over that. How many hygge-style experiences could you list for your place? When you have that, get to work on writing a Top 10 Hygge Experiences in (My Town) article or setting it up as a Pinterest board.
Then, even after hygge isn’t a hot topic, you can keep talking about your simpler life and gentler activities people can enjoy in your small town.
More reading on Hygge:
What is hygge? at Small Biz Labs looks at how it’s being used to sell products
- Are conferences and events worth your time and money? Here’s how to make sure - April 23, 2018
- Six big themes for small town entrepreneurship - April 16, 2018
- Check this list? Did I get your topic on there? - April 9, 2018
- If you help your customers to create a plan, don’t leave out this essential item - April 2, 2018
- Small town secrets to surviving lean times - March 26, 2018
- These small town neighbors bought vacant buildings, brought them up to code. Here’s what happened next - March 12, 2018
- The giant checklist of social media marketing basics for small town business - March 5, 2018
- Tourism idea: host a rural retreat after a big conference in the big city - February 26, 2018
- Rural business idea: Rent chicks for Easter - February 19, 2018
- What hours should a retail store be open in a small town? - February 12, 2018