Going into business for yourself is always a scary idea, especially for the first-time business owner.
You seem to have so much to do and so little time to get it done. The first-time business owner faces even more uncertainty because every step is a completely new experience.
Running a business is a daunting task. Here are some tips to help you get and stay focused on your goal. Post this list of tips as a daily reminder.
- Focus. Focus. Focus – Getting off track and pursuing non-priority is easy to have happen. Even multitasking limits your effectiveness. Pick the key task, focus on it, get it done and move on to the next task.
- Do what you know. Do what you love – The time and effort put into developing a business is incredible. Starting a business based on something you enjoy makes it easier to keep going and may eliminate wasted startup time.
- Have your pitch – Every day, you will have the opportunity to tell others about your business. Have a short, concise statement of 30 seconds or less that tells what your business does. Practice it and use it every chance you get.
- Remember, you don’t know everything: Learn where you need help and where to go to get it. Many services are available to help the business owner from Extension to the Small Business Administration to state and local offices.
- Have your financial resources – It’s a myth, in most cases, that there is free money to start a business. You need to be prepared to us some of your own resources. And if you are looking for a loan, make sure your own credit record is clean.
- Find a mentor – A key for many start-ups. This person is your sounding board, helps answers questions, and is there just to listen.
Owning your own business brings great opportunities. Use these tips to maximize your chances of success.
- What’s Holding You Back? - February 14, 2018
- Involving Family in the Business - February 7, 2018
- Marketing Requires Balance - January 31, 2018
- Use the Midwinter Slump for Growth - January 24, 2018
- Effective, Efficient, and Perception - January 17, 2018
- Let’s Have a Meeting - January 10, 2018
- Life Happens - January 3, 2018
- Marketing is More Than Advertising - December 20, 2017
- Getting Your Marketing Message Seen - December 13, 2017
- Keep Doing Things That Worked - December 6, 2017