Guest Post by Deb Brown, Webster City, Iowa, Area Chamber of Commerce
My friend Kevin told me a story. Kevin has just bought the business he’s worked in for over 15 years, located on Main Street in my small town, Webster City, Iowa. He’s renamed it Interior Spaces because he’s a decorator and he makes your interior spaces beautiful.
He had a couple come in a couple of weeks ago who looked at a couch and a chair. Kevin didn’t have what they wanted in stock, but did show him the pieces he thought would meet their needs in a catalog. He also told them who had the pieces in stock. They left.
Two weeks later they came back. They had been to a much larger store and looked at the actual couch and chair, but they came back to Kevin and ordered the pieces. He asked the husband why they didn’t buy it at the big store.
His response was “He wasn’t very nice.” Apparently the salesperson wasn’t attentive, didn’t care about helping the customer and just wasn’t very nice. Kevin, however, is. Consistently.
Customer service isn’t rocket science and it is teachable. Do you work with your staff on customer service? Are you customer friendly? We are all in some kind of business where we have to ‘sell’. Whether it’s a product or just ourselves.
A local business makeover
The Grandview Chamber of Commerce has helped a small business survive. Take the eleven minutes to watch this video – and you’ll notice that one of the things that was hurting the business was their customer service!
Deb Brown sends a weekly email newsletter on Building Possibility. You can learn more about working with Deb and sign up for her newsletter here.
- Rural business idea: Rent chicks for Easter - February 19, 2018
- What hours should a retail store be open in a small town? - February 12, 2018
- Want more young families to shop downtown? Consider family parking - February 5, 2018
- How independent retailers can trick Alexa, Siri, and Google Home to capture orders from local customers - January 29, 2018
- Who are the next 5 people who will hire you? - January 22, 2018
- 2017 was the retail apocalypse. What does the future of retail hold for small town stores? - January 15, 2018
- New after-conference rule: the 2-to-1 rule - January 8, 2018
- For better planning, assess your strengths - January 1, 2018
- The end of year checklist for small businesses - December 26, 2017
- Survey of Rural Challenges 2017: What Small Town People See as Their Biggest Challenges and What Topics They Most Want Help With - December 18, 2017