If you believe what you read or hear from the media, then all small towns are dying. But that’s not the real story. The real story is much too nuanced for a sound bite or 3 minute story: some small towns are dying, most are surviving, and some are prospering. And any town can choose to change its trajectory.
But the even bigger story is that huge sweeping trends are acting in favor of small towns. The end of geographic limits, how customers are changing retail, the local movement, and people moving in are all reshaping the future of rural and small towns. I’m convinced that this is the best time for small towns to truly prosper.
I presented on this topic at the Small Towns Conference put on by Oklahoma Main Street. I had an audience member (thanks, Dea!) shoot video of my talk just for my own review, but several people have asked me to share it to reach more people. So even though the brightness on my video camera was acting up, I’ve agreed.
If you’d like me to come to your town to present these positive stories live and in person, get in touch. If you’re reading this in your email, you can just hit reply and that comes to me directly. If you’re reading this on the website, drop by the contact form to talk to me.
- Holiday Marketing 7: Small Business Saturday - November 23, 2015
- Holiday Marketing 6: Support your service providers - November 16, 2015
- Holiday Marketing 5: Share the causes you care about - November 9, 2015
- Brag Basket is the place for conversation - November 6, 2015
- Holiday Marketing 4: Spotlight on Community - November 2, 2015
- Engaging businesses with school entrepreneurship programs - October 27, 2015
- Holiday marketing 3: Spotlight a local business - October 26, 2015
- 3 Ways to teach kids to be entrepreneurs - October 20, 2015
- Holiday marketing 2015 – Set your cover photos - October 19, 2015
- Never ask anyone to do something you don’t want to, right? Wrong. - October 12, 2015