Small towns watch the endless parade of cars going by on the highway. How can we get them to stop?
That question from a reader got me thinking. I’d love your ideas on this question.
Before you worry about “getting people to stop”, recognize that “family and friends” visits are your primary source of visitors right now. Teach your locals how to be good “family and friends” tour guides and hosts. Give them things to do together. Start with small town things that you already do well:
- ball games
- star gazing
- church suppers
- local eateries
- farm visits
- artist visits
- cool local experiences.
Use your 8 Rural Cultural Elements. This exercise will help you realize the amazing things you already have. Read about how to do it in Developing small town tourism.
Adapt to people’s changing travel motivations. Visitors today want different things than they did in the past. Find out more in Changing travel motivations.
Ask recent residents what surprised and delighted them. Anyone who is new in town will have some idea of what is amazing that you take for granted. Ask them about it.
Tie in with other regional towns. You may not have enough cool things on your own to warrant a stop, but if you partner up with neighboring towns, you just might have it.
Be known for one thing. Pick your one best asset and go with it. The committee will probably argue to include lots more things. Resist. Show them Roger Brooks’ advice in How to market a small town.
What would you add? How can small towns get some of the people from that never-ending parade of passers-by to stop?
- Holiday Marketing 7: Small Business Saturday - November 23, 2015
- Holiday Marketing 6: Support your service providers - November 16, 2015
- Holiday Marketing 5: Share the causes you care about - November 9, 2015
- Brag Basket is the place for conversation - November 6, 2015
- Holiday Marketing 4: Spotlight on Community - November 2, 2015
- Engaging businesses with school entrepreneurship programs - October 27, 2015
- Holiday marketing 3: Spotlight a local business - October 26, 2015
- 3 Ways to teach kids to be entrepreneurs - October 20, 2015
- Holiday marketing 2015 – Set your cover photos - October 19, 2015
- Never ask anyone to do something you don’t want to, right? Wrong. - October 12, 2015