Jen Risley spoke on a panel with me at the American Independent Business Alliance Conference, and I want to share one or two smart tricks she uses.
Jen represents Monadnock Buy Local, covering 35 small towns in the Monadnock Region of southwestern New Hampshire. Her members are all local businesses. She’s a one-person staff so she has to make the most of every moment.
Jen created a Facebook Interest List with all her member businesses. It only takes her one click to see what members are posting. Then she re-shares those posts to help amplify the businesses’ messages.
Any group or association with members can do this.
- Create your own Facebook interest list of members.
- Check it once a day.
- Share what members are sharing.
You can also make a list of local people and organizations who aren’t members. That way you’ll keep up with other local happenings.
Bonus Tracking Idea:
Jen tracked mentions of her local hashtag, but she also tracked something I never see mentioned: she tracked questions people were asking. That’s exceptionally smart.
The list of questions people are asking can help you create new content to share on social networks, on your own site, in your emails, and even in traditional media. It also lets you know what people find most interesting about you.
- Your weekly appointment with your business - February 23, 2015
- Help for small towns with no streetlights - February 17, 2015
- How Randolph, Nebraska, turned a dilapidated property into a new spec house - February 16, 2015
- How do you stop extending credit and still keep your customers? - February 9, 2015
- Talk about the problems. Sell the results. Teach the basics. - February 2, 2015
- 19 things you can do with a building that has no roof - January 19, 2015
- How to cut down on the nasty surprises in business - January 12, 2015
- The problem with statewide meetings that ignore rural - January 5, 2015
- End of year checklist for small business - December 29, 2014
- Survey says: Shopping at small businesses makes people feel good - December 10, 2014