Visitors don’t want to LOOK, they want to DO.
People are looking for things to do, not just things to look at, tourism expert Roger Brooks said. That’s why it’s so hard to market your history in tourism. You have to find ways to make people involved in the experience of that history.
Visit Indiana is working that lesson, with a Carrie Lambert story titled “Don’t just learn about history, LIVE it!”
“History was never my favorite subject. All those dates to memorize and trying to keep things straight in my head seemed tedious. I’m a person who likes to experience things by touching them, seeing them in person, feeling them in front of me. That is why I’ve always liked Conner Prairie Interactive History Park ….
“We started inside the museum, where gone are the static exhibits of the history of Indiana and in their place is ‘Create. Connect’ an interactive exhibit that focuses on history, science and technology. Here, you can build your own windmill to see if you can provide power for a farmhouse or create your own circuit with wires and switches.
“Once we ventured outside, the first place we hit was Animal Encounters. It is exactly what you think – a place where you come face-to-face with cows, goats, sheep and more. I could barely get my four-year-old out of this building … which explains why we had to go back multiple times during our visit!”
Read the rest of Carrie’s story for even more interactivity, and decide whether you’ll join in the war.
Read more about how to move your visitors along the progression of engagement.
- How to convince a building owner to host a pop-up - November 20, 2017
- Downtown After 5 idea: Dinner and a Movie - November 13, 2017
- Like a home office, but with wheels - November 6, 2017
- Want more local retail businesses? Here’s what Elk City does - October 30, 2017
- Free concerts draw big crowds, but no one shops local stores - October 23, 2017
- What small businesses can do with Facebook Live and other streaming video - October 16, 2017
- Build your business with mini-events - October 9, 2017
- Don’t call it a failure just because it stopped - October 3, 2017
- Is this my business, or just a distraction? - September 25, 2017
- What to do after entrepreneurship class - September 18, 2017