The sharpest marketing advice I’ve heard came not from some marketing guru but from a small town photographer, one who built a global business from a home base in a small town.
|Mike Klemme found a niche, filled it,
and killed it. And that is how he
built a global business.
Mike Klemme is a professional photographer from Enid, Oklahoma (population 47,000). He said he built his business on the Red Adair model: be the one to call. That niche marketing has taken him around the world to do what he does best: photograph golf courses.
I heard his marketing advice at a photography event back in 2010.
Find a niche, fill the niche and kill the niche, Klemme said.
Here’s how he outlined the process:
- Pick a niche without an existing specialist, one that capitalizes on your skills and abilities.
- Start learning all you can about it; read the trade publications.
- Network, meet everyone involved, know the industry players and become a guru in your specialty.
- Get beyond the obvious; develop your own perspective and your own style.
- Slam the door on that niche by being the absolute best.
- Find your tribe of people who are passionate about the topic. Communicate directly with them.
- Build great partnerships. Find compatible professionals, and grow your work together.
Klemme may have been thinking about photographers when he put together his points, but I’m thinking about how many different small-town professionals could use these ideas to build their own global business and kill their niche.
- Are conferences and events worth your time and money? Here’s how to make sure - April 23, 2018
- Six big themes for small town entrepreneurship - April 16, 2018
- Check this list? Did I get your topic on there? - April 9, 2018
- If you help your customers to create a plan, don’t leave out this essential item - April 2, 2018
- Small town secrets to surviving lean times - March 26, 2018
- These small town neighbors bought vacant buildings, brought them up to code. Here’s what happened next - March 12, 2018
- The giant checklist of social media marketing basics for small town business - March 5, 2018
- Tourism idea: host a rural retreat after a big conference in the big city - February 26, 2018
- Rural business idea: Rent chicks for Easter - February 19, 2018
- What hours should a retail store be open in a small town? - February 12, 2018