Reader Carie Fuhrman, with the City of Princeton, Minnesota, shared this story on our contact form. Great stuff! –Becky
By Carie Fuhrman
|Downtown Princeton, MN
Photo courtesy of City of Princeton staff.
I’d like to tell you about what the Princeton, MN (pop. 4,698) community is doing to revitalize their downtown and help small business owners and entrepreneurs.
The Princeton community is offering an incentive package worth up to $20,000 for up to three winning businesses that will open in downtown Princeton by September 1, 2013. The package includes a $10,000 forgivable loan through the City, $6,500 worth of in-kind services from local businesses, and two landlords that are offering reduced rents for a period of time.
Details can be found at www.experienceprinceton.org under the It Starts Here Challenge.
This has been a collaborative effort between the existing businesses, Chamber of Commerce, City of Princeton, and interested residents working together to save our downtown, and we are really looking forward to the unique business possibilities that will come from this project to enhance downtown Princeton.
We modeled the challenge after a similar effort in Biddeford, Maine. I have spoken with their staff person, and they are very happy with the results from their project.
- Please use the Halloween Brag Basket - October 31, 2014
- Any small town could do spooky storytelling - October 28, 2014
- Good news casts a long shadow in the Brag Basket - October 24, 2014
- Customers are switching to small retailers - October 20, 2014
- Why big box stores are getting smaller and what that means to small towns - October 13, 2014
- A great shop local tagline - October 8, 2014
- 5 ways to get your business ready for the holidays, especially if you’re not a retail store - September 29, 2014
- How service businesses can get ready for the holidays - September 22, 2014
- 5 Retail Holiday Tips for 2014 - September 15, 2014
- 9 ways to drive engagement and draw a bigger audience on Twitter - September 3, 2014