Reader Carie Fuhrman, with the City of Princeton, Minnesota, shared this story on our contact form. Great stuff! –Becky
By Carie Fuhrman
|Downtown Princeton, MN
Photo courtesy of City of Princeton staff.
I’d like to tell you about what the Princeton, MN (pop. 4,698) community is doing to revitalize their downtown and help small business owners and entrepreneurs.
The Princeton community is offering an incentive package worth up to $20,000 for up to three winning businesses that will open in downtown Princeton by September 1, 2013. The package includes a $10,000 forgivable loan through the City, $6,500 worth of in-kind services from local businesses, and two landlords that are offering reduced rents for a period of time.
Details can be found at www.experienceprinceton.org under the It Starts Here Challenge.
This has been a collaborative effort between the existing businesses, Chamber of Commerce, City of Princeton, and interested residents working together to save our downtown, and we are really looking forward to the unique business possibilities that will come from this project to enhance downtown Princeton.
We modeled the challenge after a similar effort in Biddeford, Maine. I have spoken with their staff person, and they are very happy with the results from their project.
- How to start a big business in a small town, when the big dream seems out of reach - February 13, 2017
- My trends reports and more guest articles on other sites - January 23, 2017
- Innovative Rural Business Models spread opportunity in small towns - January 9, 2017
- When Google Maps has your small business listed in the wrong place - January 2, 2017
- Don’t wait until retirement to feature your people - December 26, 2016
- Sometimes all you have is the dirt under your feet - December 19, 2016
- Hygge: A cozy small town tourism trend - December 12, 2016
- RuralOmniLocal: Why local businesses resist selling online - November 29, 2016
- Resources for Service Businesses - November 28, 2016
- RuralOmniLocal: Selling virtual products in a bricks-and-mortar store - November 21, 2016