Reader Carie Fuhrman, with the City of Princeton, Minnesota, shared this story on our contact form. Great stuff! –Becky
By Carie Fuhrman
|Downtown Princeton, MN
Photo courtesy of City of Princeton staff.
I’d like to tell you about what the Princeton, MN (pop. 4,698) community is doing to revitalize their downtown and help small business owners and entrepreneurs.
The Princeton community is offering an incentive package worth up to $20,000 for up to three winning businesses that will open in downtown Princeton by September 1, 2013. The package includes a $10,000 forgivable loan through the City, $6,500 worth of in-kind services from local businesses, and two landlords that are offering reduced rents for a period of time.
Details can be found at www.experienceprinceton.org under the It Starts Here Challenge.
This has been a collaborative effort between the existing businesses, Chamber of Commerce, City of Princeton, and interested residents working together to save our downtown, and we are really looking forward to the unique business possibilities that will come from this project to enhance downtown Princeton.
We modeled the challenge after a similar effort in Biddeford, Maine. I have spoken with their staff person, and they are very happy with the results from their project.
- Should I charge by the hour or by the project? - August 18, 2014
- Finding Mona’s Market, a small town business picture-story - August 12, 2014
- 7 Strengths of Small Town Businesses #7: Benefiting the Local Community - August 4, 2014
- Redesign your downtown without breaking the budget - July 29, 2014
- 7 Strengths of Small Town Businesses #6: Innovative - July 28, 2014
- Brag Basket is for sharing good news - July 25, 2014
- 7 Strengths of Small Town Businesses #5: More knowledgeable - July 21, 2014
- Brag Basket for July 18 - July 18, 2014
- 7 Strengths of Small Town Businesses #4: More flexible - July 14, 2014
- In the Brag Basket, success tastes sweet - July 11, 2014