Picking the right niche for your business is a large task. I hear from many small business people who have several different targets, but can’t pick one to be their niche. This seems to be especially true for freelancers, consultants, and other independent business folks.
|Time to pick a direction.|
If you have trouble deciding on a single niche, here’s my advice:
Spend one month focused on one of your possible niches.
Pick your favorite target, and decide to spend one full month focused on them. Find those folks, connect with them online and offline, find out as much as you can about what they need, and how you can work together.
At the end of the month, you’ll know a lot more about that niche. Do you love it? Is it the one you want to spend most of your time on? If not, move on. Take your second favorite niche, and spend a month focused on them.
At the very least, you’ll learn a lot more about your potential niches. You’ll better connect with them.
More likely, you’ll learn that some of your potential niches are not a great fit. Drop them from your business. Refocus on the more promising ones.
What’s the best outcome? You’ll find your best niche. Or at least, you best niche for now.
- Are conferences and events worth your time and money? Here’s how to make sure - April 23, 2018
- Six big themes for small town entrepreneurship - April 16, 2018
- Check this list? Did I get your topic on there? - April 9, 2018
- If you help your customers to create a plan, don’t leave out this essential item - April 2, 2018
- Small town secrets to surviving lean times - March 26, 2018
- These small town neighbors bought vacant buildings, brought them up to code. Here’s what happened next - March 12, 2018
- The giant checklist of social media marketing basics for small town business - March 5, 2018
- Tourism idea: host a rural retreat after a big conference in the big city - February 26, 2018
- Rural business idea: Rent chicks for Easter - February 19, 2018
- What hours should a retail store be open in a small town? - February 12, 2018