When I recently co-hosted an online chat with Jim Kukral for NFIB, one attendee asked about how to get more people to come through the doors during the holiday season. It’s a great question and I have some tips that can help.
|Want more people to come through
the doors? Dress up your external space
and put up great window displays.
Photo by Rennett Stowe.
1. Make sure you have what your customers want. All the promotion in the world won’t drive customers to a business that doesn’t offer what people want. This includes setting the hours that your customers want, even weekends. They can’t get through the doors if the doors are closed.
2. Connect with your potential customers where they are, whether that is online on offline. I don’t mean just connect, like a friend request. I mean really connect, like two people sharing stories. Share your business’s story with them. Connect to local traditions.
3. Make an actual plan for your marketing and have a theme. Too many of us (retailers) lurch through the season with no plan or reusing old ideas and old ads. That’s the easy way out, but it doesn’t bring any more people through your doors. Find a retail-minded friend, sit down and brainstorm some new ideas.
4. Clean up your external selling space. If you want more people to come through the door, don’t let a dirty outside space turn them off right outside! Create attractive window displays. More on that in Small Town Retail Ideas.
What are you doing to bring more people through your doors this year?
- The rural contradiction: “There aren’t any good jobs!” vs. “We can’t find good people!” - June 19, 2017
- Can rural communities retain young people? Are rural Millennials different from urban Millennials? - June 12, 2017
- How do I attract good employees for low-level jobs? - June 5, 2017
- Retail’s big split: why big boxes are in trouble and what small town retailers can do - May 22, 2017
- Surprising results in the Survey of Rural Challenges 2017 - May 15, 2017
- Where to find local entrepreneurs online - May 8, 2017
- Where do you find potential entrepreneurs? - May 1, 2017
- How can a municipality support entrepreneurship? - April 24, 2017
- Small town retail trend: shared spaces - April 10, 2017
- A blue Brag Basket - March 24, 2017