When I recently co-hosted an online chat with Jim Kukral for NFIB, one attendee asked about how to get more people to come through the doors during the holiday season. It’s a great question and I have some tips that can help.
|Want more people to come through
the doors? Dress up your external space
and put up great window displays.
Photo by Rennett Stowe.
1. Make sure you have what your customers want. All the promotion in the world won’t drive customers to a business that doesn’t offer what people want. This includes setting the hours that your customers want, even weekends. They can’t get through the doors if the doors are closed.
2. Connect with your potential customers where they are, whether that is online on offline. I don’t mean just connect, like a friend request. I mean really connect, like two people sharing stories. Share your business’s story with them. Connect to local traditions.
3. Make an actual plan for your marketing and have a theme. Too many of us (retailers) lurch through the season with no plan or reusing old ideas and old ads. That’s the easy way out, but it doesn’t bring any more people through your doors. Find a retail-minded friend, sit down and brainstorm some new ideas.
4. Clean up your external selling space. If you want more people to come through the door, don’t let a dirty outside space turn them off right outside! Create attractive window displays. More on that in Small Town Retail Ideas.
What are you doing to bring more people through your doors this year?
- Are conferences and events worth your time and money? Here’s how to make sure - April 23, 2018
- Six big themes for small town entrepreneurship - April 16, 2018
- Check this list? Did I get your topic on there? - April 9, 2018
- If you help your customers to create a plan, don’t leave out this essential item - April 2, 2018
- Small town secrets to surviving lean times - March 26, 2018
- These small town neighbors bought vacant buildings, brought them up to code. Here’s what happened next - March 12, 2018
- The giant checklist of social media marketing basics for small town business - March 5, 2018
- Tourism idea: host a rural retreat after a big conference in the big city - February 26, 2018
- Rural business idea: Rent chicks for Easter - February 19, 2018
- What hours should a retail store be open in a small town? - February 12, 2018