One of the milestones of small business is your first office space. But how do you know when the time is right? And where do you find space that works for a small business?
|My favorite “home office” on safari|
Know your plan
Jeffrey A. Landers divides home-office businesses into two group, with two distinct solutions:
- If you want to grow a big business, move out of the home office as soon as possible
- If you want to stay one person scale, keep the home office and find a supporting space.
I received a review copy of his book, The Home Office from Hell Cure, where he explains more and offers a quiz. If you’re struggling with home office problems, it’s well worth checking out.
You aren’t limited to finding one stand-alone space that’s perfect for your business. There are lots more options available.
- Rent your own space
- Rent a smaller space inside another business
- Look at business incubators
- Check into shared spaces and coworking
Mike Samson, co-founder of crowdSPRING, said they partnered with a design development firm, and the deal included a tiny amount of office space. This worked for them for nine months.
Samson said there is a big difference between working at home, and working with other people who have ideas, connections, networks, and can invite you to events. So if you are looking to grow a larger scale business, there are definite benefits to getting an office space near other people.
In small towns, the best bets are renting space inside another business and business incubators. I’m seeing incubators springing up in some really small towns!
If you aren’t looking to grow the next big startup, you may only need an occasional conference room or working space. Once again, you have some options.
- Shared office spaces and coworking spaces give you access to conference rooms, meeting spaces, and a place to get a group together to work.
- Incubators may offer occasional-use conference rooms.
In small towns, you might find support spaces in incubators or educational institutions.
What innovative small-town office arrangements have you seen?
- Are conferences and events worth your time and money? Here’s how to make sure - April 23, 2018
- Six big themes for small town entrepreneurship - April 16, 2018
- Check this list? Did I get your topic on there? - April 9, 2018
- If you help your customers to create a plan, don’t leave out this essential item - April 2, 2018
- Small town secrets to surviving lean times - March 26, 2018
- These small town neighbors bought vacant buildings, brought them up to code. Here’s what happened next - March 12, 2018
- The giant checklist of social media marketing basics for small town business - March 5, 2018
- Tourism idea: host a rural retreat after a big conference in the big city - February 26, 2018
- Rural business idea: Rent chicks for Easter - February 19, 2018
- What hours should a retail store be open in a small town? - February 12, 2018