Great marketing ideas for your business bombard you all the time. Your ability to capture the best of those ideas and execute them is one measure of your success.
|Photo by koalazymonkey on Flickr|
Those new promotion ideas come at you from all over. And you’re reading online right now, coming up with even more. But those ideas are just slipping away.
To grab those slippery ideas, you need a system. One old fashioned way is an index card file: one new idea per card. Write down just enough to remember the idea.
- After every business conference, make up five new idea cards.
- Read business books with index cards for page markers, filling them out as you go.
- Carry index cards in your hip pocket.
- Call promising ideas into your voice mail, to write down later.
Now you’ve got a big pile of index cards. What are you going to do with them?
Keep the box on your desk. When you lament of slow sales or low performance, pull three cards out of the box. Pick the one idea that sounds best right now, and put it into action immediately. Put the other two back in the box for later.
You don’t have to do paper, but it’s more fun than a flat computer file. I’m a fan of Evernote for storing lots of things, but I think there is something to pulling out a physical piece of paper and focusing on one idea for a moment.
And you can do other kinds of ideas, besides marketing and promotion. Start a separate file for each subject. If you have one specific business subject you are focusing on learning, make an index card file for it.
How do you capture and execute new ideas in your business?
- How to convince a building owner to host a pop-up - November 20, 2017
- Downtown After 5 idea: Dinner and a Movie - November 13, 2017
- Like a home office, but with wheels - November 6, 2017
- Want more local retail businesses? Here’s what Elk City does - October 30, 2017
- Free concerts draw big crowds, but no one shops local stores - October 23, 2017
- What small businesses can do with Facebook Live and other streaming video - October 16, 2017
- Build your business with mini-events - October 9, 2017
- Don’t call it a failure just because it stopped - October 3, 2017
- Is this my business, or just a distraction? - September 25, 2017
- What to do after entrepreneurship class - September 18, 2017