One reality of software is that sometimes it goes away. Microsoft Office Accounting was discontinued in November of 2009. Microsoft Money (for personal accounting) was also discontinued. I have no idea how many small businesses were using MS Accounting or MS Money, but Sage Accounting just sent out a press release about their options for “where to go now.” So this seemed like a good time to talk about it.
Sage is now offering Sage Peachtree Pro Accounting 2011 free of charge plus conversion assistance and 30 days of free support and online training.
Through September 30, 2010, small businesses interested in obtaining a free, fully functional, downloadable version of Sage Peachtree Pro Accounting 2011 to replace their Microsoft Office Accounting may visit www.peachtreeoffer.com/msoa. For those interested, Sage will assist them with company set-up by converting the following information from Microsoft Office Accounting: Chart of Accounts, Customers, Customer Contacts, Employees, Inventory, Jobs, and Vendors.
You will need to provide your Microsoft Office Accounting serial number. Here’s the press release.
Intuit is providing a free conversion tool. It converts data from Microsoft Small Business Accounting and Office Accounting products through the 2009 versions into QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and Enterprise Solutions editions. It can also convert Microsoft Office Accounting Express to QuickBooks Simple Start 2010. Here’s the related press release.
Disclosure: Small Biz Survival has partnered with Intuit in the past. See our Disclosure page.
Microsoft Money Sunset
Microsoft has released a “sunset” edition of Money. It allows you to use the software without online activation. If you had business data in a Money file, this could help you to get your data back out. Technically, anyone could download and start using it, but I certainly don’t recommend it at this point. You’ll find it on the Microsoft Money Home page.
New here? Take the Guided Tour. Like what you see? Get our updates.
- How do you get merchants to host pop-ups inside their business? - December 11, 2017
- Rural addresses are confusing to outsiders, but a new tool aims to change that with just 3 words - December 4, 2017
- Your town has lost its economic reason for being - November 27, 2017
- How to convince a building owner to host a pop-up - November 20, 2017
- Downtown After 5 idea: Dinner and a Movie - November 13, 2017
- Like a home office, but with wheels - November 6, 2017
- Want more local retail businesses? Here’s what Elk City does - October 30, 2017
- Free concerts draw big crowds, but no one shops local stores - October 23, 2017
- What small businesses can do with Facebook Live and other streaming video - October 16, 2017
- Build your business with mini-events - October 9, 2017