Does your town have a slogan? Does it convey anything unique, or could it apply to any number of other towns? Generic lines like “Best Little Town” or “Heart of…” don’t really tell your visitors anything.
Our friend Mike Knutson of Reimagine Rural brought up this idea, after reading this list of South Dakota town slogans. A selection:
Tripp says, “Easy to Find, Hard to Leave.”
Tyndall is “A Place Where Families Grow.”
Philip is “Where the sun kisses the earth.”
But do any of those tell you anything about the town? No. These are not good slogans because they are something that almost any town could claim.
Here are 100 more town slogan examples, found on (of all places) a truck camping forum.I pulled out these six examples that I think are good. Each of these tells you something about the town.
- Hooker, Oklahoma: It’s a location, not a vocation
- Buckley, Washington: Below the snow, above the fog
- Show Low, Arizona: Named for the turn of a card
- Britt, Iowa: Founded by rail, sustained by the plow
- Tombstone, Arizona: The town too tough to die
- Hyder, Alaska: Friendliest ghost town in Alaska
If you are ready to work on your slogan, another of our friends Ross Kimbarovsky of crowdSPRING has an excellent article on How to Make Your Tagline Stand Out From the Crowd.
Do you know of an example of a town that manages to tell a story with just a few words?
Edited 1/30/2014 to add more clarification about what makes a good slogan.
- Holiday shopping campaigns besides “Shop Small” - November 17, 2014
- How small towns can do Shop Small Saturday - November 10, 2014
- Brag Basket provides the warmth of community - November 7, 2014
- Use social lists to connect local businesses - November 4, 2014
- Please use the Halloween Brag Basket - October 31, 2014
- Any small town could do spooky storytelling - October 28, 2014
- Good news casts a long shadow in the Brag Basket - October 24, 2014
- Customers are switching to small retailers - October 20, 2014
- Why big box stores are getting smaller and what that means to small towns - October 13, 2014
- A great shop local tagline - October 8, 2014