Shop local and buy local campaigns can significantly impact your hometown economy, but the instructions available online assume you are a big city. That’s why I decided to create a step by step guide to starting a shop local campaign in a small town, as a downloadable e-book.
It includes solid research that shows whether buy local campaigns actually work. If you have to convince others to back your project, this could make your job easier.
Next it goes through six steps to building a truly effective campaign:
- Get some help
- Pick a theme
- Promote your most powerful benefits
- Create just the right promotional materials
- Kick off with events and media coverage
- Measure success
Each step is focused on the actions that work the best for small town volunteer efforts. The seventh step shows you 4 ways to multiply the effect of your campaign and get more out of your efforts.
As a bonus, I included a list of reasons to shop local that you can use in your town, and I linked you to two of the best lists available online.
“I would encourage all small town chambers of commerce or merchant associations to order this guide. It will point you in the right direction to making buy local work in your small town!”
Jack Schultz, Author of BoomtownUSA
Version 2.0 is ready! See it at Shop Local Campaigns for Small Towns.
- These small town neighbors bought vacant buildings, brought them up to code. Here’s what happened next - March 12, 2018
- The giant checklist of social media marketing basics for small town business - March 5, 2018
- Tourism idea: host a rural retreat after a big conference in the big city - February 26, 2018
- Rural business idea: Rent chicks for Easter - February 19, 2018
- What hours should a retail store be open in a small town? - February 12, 2018
- Want more young families to shop downtown? Consider family parking - February 5, 2018
- How independent retailers can trick Alexa, Siri, and Google Home to capture orders from local customers - January 29, 2018
- Who are the next 5 people who will hire you? - January 22, 2018
- 2017 was the retail apocalypse. What does the future of retail hold for small town stores? - January 15, 2018
- New after-conference rule: the 2-to-1 rule - January 8, 2018