Some rural communities develop, and some wither. Some development efforts succeed, and some terrific attempts are miserable failures. What makes the difference? Michael Holton with the Center for Rural Affairs explores the Top 10 Reasons Rural Community Development is So Hard to DO!
You have two ways to read it. Read the entire article in the CFRA newsletter archive. Or, read just the parts that hit close to home, at the CFRA blog, and join in on the lively discussion taking place in the comments!
1. People Don’t Understand What Community Development Is
2. Agencies Overlook Differences between Rural and Urban
3. Community Gate Keeper Resistance
4. Change Is Not Comfortable
5. Parochial Attitudes Must Be Overcome
6. Lack of Resources and Capacity
7. Negative Attitudes
8. Lack of Participation across the Generations
9. Confused Purpose of Existence
10. Lack of Leadership Capacity
Here’s the conclusion, and one attempt to answer the difficulties.
WHAT CAN WE DO TO address these problem areas? Discussion Guides will prompt dialogue
From mid-December and in 2007, the Center for Rural Affairs will be publishing discussion guides and helpful tools to use in working with your community in asking the right questions. These publications will be available on our website for you to download and begin working through the discussions with your community.
[photo by Jeanne: A past rural community development event, Entrepreneur Day in Alva.]
- What small businesses can do with Facebook Live and other streaming video - October 16, 2017
- Build your business with mini-events - October 9, 2017
- Don’t call it a failure just because it stopped - October 3, 2017
- Is this my business, or just a distraction? - September 25, 2017
- What to do after entrepreneurship class - September 18, 2017
- Business Idea: A new use for old church buildings: camping and lodging - September 11, 2017
- Where to find photos online that you can use for your business - September 4, 2017
- The marketing genius behind Nacho Business - August 28, 2017
- Who will run small town businesses when the owners retire? One unusual option you may not have considered - August 21, 2017
- So what if they said it’s illegal? Doing business when it’s against the rules - August 14, 2017