Some rural communities develop, and some wither. Some development efforts succeed, and some terrific attempts are miserable failures. What makes the difference? Michael Holton with the Center for Rural Affairs explores the Top 10 Reasons Rural Community Development is So Hard to DO!
You have two ways to read it. Read the entire article in the CFRA newsletter archive. Or, read just the parts that hit close to home, at the CFRA blog, and join in on the lively discussion taking place in the comments!
1. People Don’t Understand What Community Development Is
2. Agencies Overlook Differences between Rural and Urban
3. Community Gate Keeper Resistance
4. Change Is Not Comfortable
5. Parochial Attitudes Must Be Overcome
6. Lack of Resources and Capacity
7. Negative Attitudes
8. Lack of Participation across the Generations
9. Confused Purpose of Existence
10. Lack of Leadership Capacity
Here’s the conclusion, and one attempt to answer the difficulties.
WHAT CAN WE DO TO address these problem areas? Discussion Guides will prompt dialogue
From mid-December and in 2007, the Center for Rural Affairs will be publishing discussion guides and helpful tools to use in working with your community in asking the right questions. These publications will be available on our website for you to download and begin working through the discussions with your community.
[photo by Jeanne: A past rural community development event, Entrepreneur Day in Alva.]
- Please use the Halloween Brag Basket - October 31, 2014
- Any small town could do spooky storytelling - October 28, 2014
- Good news casts a long shadow in the Brag Basket - October 24, 2014
- Customers are switching to small retailers - October 20, 2014
- Why big box stores are getting smaller and what that means to small towns - October 13, 2014
- A great shop local tagline - October 8, 2014
- 5 ways to get your business ready for the holidays, especially if you’re not a retail store - September 29, 2014
- How service businesses can get ready for the holidays - September 22, 2014
- 5 Retail Holiday Tips for 2014 - September 15, 2014
- 9 ways to drive engagement and draw a bigger audience on Twitter - September 3, 2014